Part Four: People in The Hospital Really Don't Want Visitors PLUS Insurance Companies Are The Tools of Satan!


Cousins and friends wanted to visit while I was still in the hospital. I made excuses for them not to come. I really didn't want to see anyone, in fact, I still don't. I never liked visiting sick people, it always felt like an imposition...because it is an imposition. Make a call, send a card, send some flowers. When the patient is feeling better, he will visit with you. Don't take it personally.

Here's another thing to consider, forget all about modesty. When you are hospitalized a million people are going to see your junk, and your arse. If you have a hairy chest (like I do) you are never going to hear the end of it. It seems like hairy people are very rare these days. Everyone is going to comment on it.

If your surgeon is good, I mean really good, he will have NO bedside manner. I barely got five words out of mine. One of his associates did all the talking.  Marcus Welby is a myth.

Most of the nurses you meet will be youngsters. Most of them still in their twenties. It will make you feel very old. That said, the nurses tend to do all the heavy lifting while the doctor's get all the glory. Make nice with your nurse, that comes in handy.

The nurse's aides are your best friend. They know what's going on, they can clue you in on things, and they can smuggle up some extra ice cream to your room if you are nice to them. Also, when you finally leave the hospital, it will probably be an aide who will plop you in a wheelchair and send you on your way. I got a big hug and kiss from my aide when I left.


When they let me out of the hospital, I was shipped on over to a swanky rehab center that was more like a five-star hotel.  I had a private room, large screen TV, internet access, a spa-like bathroom, and the nicest nurses, PTs, and aides around. I really felt like this was going to be a big help in my recuperation.   Sadly, my damn insurance company decided that they did not want to pay for this and I should go home and get in-home services.  Of course, they decided this on the second day I was at said rehab palace.     Insurance companies are Hellish. Fuck them, fuck all of them.  Also, you can't fight city hall, so I ended up coming home a bit earlier than I had planned... 

Comments

  1. I am sure you were the perfect patient, but I would have stormed the hospital to see you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Part Two: ICU is A Scary Place ...Also, Have a Pint of Blood - It's On the House!

Part Three: The Food of The Gods PLUS Designer Hospital Gowns!